20 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs for Competitive Exams – Daily GK Digest
Read Latest Current Affairs 2018 for All Competitive Exams like UPSC, State Civil Services like – RAS, PMPSC, TNPSC, IAS, RRB etc. Our Daily Current Affairs Digest will also help for aspirants preparing for banking exams IBPS PO Clerk, SBI, RBI in current affairs sections.You can keep track of all your old posts month wise – All Current Affairs Post Month Wise . Our current Affairs Bulletin includes articles from National Events, New Government Schemes and initiatives, New Appointments along with important international affairs, Sports, Business, Banking Current Affairs, Science and Tech which are useful for all government job aspirants and private Job aspirants.
Table Of Content
Current Affairs National
Coast Guard commissions interceptor boat at Guj’s Porbandar
- The Coast Guard on Saturday commissioned an interceptor boat at Porbandar as part of its efforts to strengthen the security umbrella of the West coast, officials said.
- An official release said that Indian Coast Guard Ship C-437 would “strengthen the security umbrella of the West coast and also help augment patrolling to prevent illicit activities such as infiltration, smuggling and illegal fishing”.
President releases commemorative coins on Nabakalebar festival
- President Ram Nath Kovind today released commemorative coins in denominations of Rs 10 and Rs 1000 on Lord Jagannath’s Nabakalebar festival.
- The President, who is visiting Odisha, released the coins during the centenary celebration of Rastriya Sanskrit Sansthan here.
Manipur celebrates New Year
- Sajibu Nongma Panba Cheiraoba, the New Year of Manipuri lunar calendar was celebrated with gaiety and fervour in Manipur on Sunday.
- Cheiraoba is the New Year festival of Manipur. It is celebrated on the first day of the month Sajibu (usually falls in March or April).
- Sanamahi, the domestic deity of the people of Manipur is worshipped on this day.
- The celebration begins with ritual offerings of fruits, vegetables, rice and other uncooked food items to the Meitei deity Lainingthou Sanamahi in the morning.
India’s first offshore wind turbines to be set up
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) is to set up India’s first offshore wind turbines at Arichamunai near Dhanushkodi at an estimated investment of ₹300 crore, according to Bhanu Pratap Yadav, Joint Secretary, MNRE.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Two day informal WTO Ministerial Meet begins in New Delhi
- A 2-day informal World Trade Organisation Ministerial meet began in the national capital on Monday with the intent to forge cooperation.
- Representatives from 50 countries are participating in the meet.The meet will provide an opportunity for free and frank discussions to representatives from several developed and developing countries.
- The meet is also expected to help resolve several complex issues.
- Addressing the meet WTO Director-General said the discussion is on with the US for reforming the institution.
Bandhan Bank IPO subscribed 14.59 times
- The initial public offer (IPO) of Bandhan Bank was oversubscribed 14.59 times, eliciting good response from QIP and HNI investors, a top official of the bank said.
- Chandra Shekhar Ghosh, MD and CEO, Bandhan Bank, told PTI that oversubscription on account of QIP was 38.67 times and that of HNI investors was 13.89 times.
- The price band had been fixed between Rs 370 and Rs 375 per share, with a face value of Rs 10 each to raise Rs 4,500 crore.
TRAI to make mobile number portability simpler, faster
- The process of network port-out is set to become faster and simpler for mobile subscribers, as telecom regulator TRAI is planning to initiate a review of the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) mechanism.
- It will issue, by the month-end, a consultation paper that will look at reducing the time taken to switch from one network to another under MNP, and will also seek to simplify the entire process, according to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman RS Sharma.
Current Affairs Sports
Vidarbha lift Irani Trophy 2018
- Ranji Trophy winners Vidarbha grabbed their second title in the domestic cricket season as they won the Irani Cup thanks to their huge first innings total against Rest of India on Sunday.
- Vidarbha piled on 800/7 in the first innings which they declared on the fourth day on Saturday.
- ROI then on the fifth and final day were bowled out for 390 in their first innings.
Purva Barve clinches Israel Junior badminton tournament
- Defending champion Purva Barve won the women’s singles (Under-19) title at the Israel Junior 2018 held in Rishon LeZion.
- Seeded No. 4 in the event, Barve, a trainee at the Nikhil Kanetkar Badminton Academy, won the long drawn battle against third seeded and top-ranked Russian Anastasiia Pustinskaia 21-19, 19-21, 21-13 in a match that lasted 66 minutes.
Yuki advances in Miami qualifiers, Ramkumar ousted
- Yuki Bhambri crushed Argentina’s Renzo Olivo in straight sets to move into the final round of the ATP Miami Masters qualifiers but Ramkumar Ramanathan was ousted from the high-profile tournament.
- Yuki, who qualified for the Indian Wells Masters and went on to scalp world number 12 Lucas Puille, dispatched Olivo 6-4 6-1 in the opening round of the USD 7,972,535 hard court event.
Current Affairs World
World’s last male northern white rhino, Sudan, dies
- The world’s last male northern white rhino, Sudan, has died after “age-related complications,” researchers announced Tuesday, saying he “stole the heart of many with his dignity and strength.”
- 45-year-old rhino was euthanized on Monday after his condition “worsened significantly” and he was no longer able to stand.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
New species of water strider found in Nagaland
- Scientists from the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) have discovered a new species of water strider (also known as water skippers or pond skaters) from Nagaland.
- The new species named Ptilomera nagalanda Jehamalar and Chandra was found in Intangki River in Peren district.
Indo-French naval exercises ‘Varuna 2018’ kick-off at MPT
- The Indian Navy will get an opportunity to put its recently inducted Scorpene-class submarine, the INS Kalvari during the Indo-French naval exercises, Varuna 2018.
- The bilateral maritime exercises began on March 19 at the Mormugao Port Trust (MPT), Vasco, with the harbor phase, and will continue over the next two months.
- The INS Kalvari, a conventional diesel-electric submarine, was commissioned by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in mid-December 2017 and has been designed by French firm DCNS.
7TH Women Science Congress Inaugurated at Imphal
- Inaugurating the 7th Women Science Congress at the ongoing 105th session of Indian Science Congress in Imphal on Monday, Governor of West Bengal, Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi pointed out that representation of women in science and technology is less than expected.
- He added that proper education, motivation and maximisation of human resources are the need of the hour.
Also Read Complete Month GK Post :
Month March, 2018
- 19 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 18 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 17 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 16 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 15 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 14 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 13 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 12 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 11 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 6-10 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 5 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 4 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 3 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 2 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 1 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs