16 January Current Affairs: Today’s Current Affairs for Competitive Exams – Bank, SSC, Vyapam, PSC
Table Of Content
Currents Affairs National
Israel PM visits TajMahal
- Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife were welcomed by UP CM Yogi Adityanath on their visit to TajMahal.
- He appreciated the beauty of TajMahal and called it “Temple of love”.
- “Deeply appreciate the magnificence and the beauty of this unforgettable monument of love”, he wrote in Visitor’s book.
Government ends Haj Subsidy for Muslims
- Haj pilgrimage will no longer get subsidized or cheaper air tickets for Haj government said today.
- “Haj subsidy funds will be used for educational empowerment of girls and women of minority community”, said Abbas Naqvi, Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar.
Imp Note: Haj subsidy was provided to Muslims citizen in form of discounted Air tickets on Govt. owned Airlines.
Inadequate medical seats available for student says President
- During 45th Annual Convocation at AIIMS in New Delhi president Shri Ram Nath Kovind said India needs more medical seats for medical students.
- President Ram Nath Kovind was the chief guest at the 45th Annual Convocation at All India Institute of Medical Sciences(AIIMS).
Armed forces to get assault rifles and carbines
- The government agreed for procurement of 72,000 assault rifles and 93,895 carbines worth Rs. 3547 crore.
- The DAC or Defence Acquisition Council approved the procurement on Tuesday to meet the requirement arms on borders.
Imp Note: DAC is headed by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates project commencement of Barmer refinery
- On Tuesday Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated project commencement of Barmer refinery.
- The project is a joint venture of Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) and Rajasthan Government and is worth Rs. 43,000 crore.
Currents Affairs Business and Economy
Reliance Industries Ltd. to invest ₹5,000 crore in West Bengal
- Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL) will invest ₹5,000 crore in West Bengal, its chairman Mukesh Ambani said on Tuesday at Bengal Global Business Summit in Kolkata.
- The investment would be made to promote the electronics industry by manufacturing mobile phones and set top boxes.
TCS signs $690 million deal with M&G Prudential
- Tata Consultancy Services signed $690 million deal with M&G Prudential for over 10 years.
- TCS will digitize M&G Prudential’s business and deliver enhanced services for its UK savings and retirement customers.
Patanjali launches its e-commerce
- Patanjali steps into e-commerce and aims above Rs.1,000 crore sale in 2018.
- Patanjali products will be now available online on Amazon, Flipkart, Grofers, Bigbasket, 1mg, Shopclues, PayTm Mall and Netmeds.
Bajaj Finance will acquire 12.60% in Digital wallet Mobikwik
- Bajaj Finance will acquire 12.6% rather than previously said 10.83% in Mobikwik.
Currents Affairs Sports
India thrashed Papua New Guinea in Under 19 World Cup
- India continues his victory journey by beating PNG.
- PNG lost all their wickets at score of 64 runs batting first.
- India achieved the target in 8 overs with all wickets in hand.
- The top performer of match was Anukul Roy, 5 wickets for 14 runs (India).
- Former world No.1 Maria Sharapova wins first round at Australian Open Tennis Tournament.
- Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer also won their first rounds.
Currents Affairs World
Afghanistan residents awarded Medal of Bravery to US President
- Residents of Afghanistan awarded ‘Medal of Bravery’ to US President Donald Trump for his policies against Pakistan.
- The gold medal was made with funds worth 645$ collected by Afghans.
Bangladesh to set up transit camps to send Rohingya Muslims to Myanmar
- Bangladesh will complete process of returning Rohingyas to Myanmar within 2 years.
- Rohingya Muslims fled from their home in Myanmar after Burmese soldiers attacked and burned their villages last year.
Imp Note: Capital of Myanmar: Naypyidaw
Capital of Bangladesh: Dhaka
Currents Affairs Miscellaneous(Science, Technology etc.)
ISRO released first day image captured by Cartosat-2
- ISRO released image taken by Cartosat-2 which was taken by satellite on 15/01/18.
- The image is of a part of Indore(M.P.).
Enterprise Messaging App DingTalk launched in India
- DindTalk ,an app which is used for communication in enterprises and organizations launched in India.
- This app is by Alibaba which is used in enterprise to provide message, voice and video communication.
Also Read : 15 January Current Affairs