13 January Current Affairs: Today’s Current Affairs for Competative Exams – Bank, SSC, Vyapam, PSC Exams
Table Of Content
- 1 Today’s Current Affairs- 13 January 2018
- 1.1 Current Affairs National
- 1.2 Current Affairs Business and Economy
- 1.3 Current Affairs Sports
- 1.4 Current Affairs World
- 1.5 Current Affairs Miscellaneous (Science, Technology, etc.)
Today’s Current Affairs- 13 January 2018
Current Affairs National
Smoke disrupts flight in Chennai
- Flight services in Chennai disrupted due to heavy smoke produced during the celebration of Bhogi Festival.About 18 flights were diverted to Hyderabad and Bengaluru.
- Bhogi Festival is celebrated is celebrated as first day of 4-days Harvest Pongal festival.The festival involves burning of old articles to welcome the new.
Imp Note: Bhogi festival is celebrated on 13 January (sometimes 14 January) every year in Indian states Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. This day corresponds to last day of Tamil Calendar month Maargazhi.
Delhi and Punjab tops in NFHS-4 Survey
- In a recent survey by National Family and Health survey Delhi and Punjab emerges as the richest states.
- Jain is the wealthiest community.
- Bihar is the poorest Indian state.
Sex Ratio improves in Haryana
- Sex Ratio improved to 914 in Haryana.
- It was 900 in 2016 and 876 in 2015.
Imp Note: Sex Ratio is the no. of females per 1000 males. Sex ratio in India as per census 2011 is 940 females per 1000 males.
Government plans to give monthly financial support to TB patients
- TB patients may soon get Rs.500 monthly as social support .
- This sum will be given for travelling and purchasing nutritious food till the disease is cured.
India signs MoU with UK over illegal Immigrants
- India had signed MoU with UK for enabling return of Indian immigrants living illegally in UK.
- Union Minister Kiren Rijiju said government will help UK in deporting illegal Indian immigrants within a month of their detection.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Jet Airways to ban smart luggage from 12 January
- Jet Airways banned smart luggage on its flights.
- Passengers are prohibited to carry luggage which includes devices with non-removable batteries, integrated lithium batteries, motors, power banks, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi technology.
IDFC Bank to merge with Capital First
- IDFC bank announced merger with financial firm Capital First.
Infosys President Rajesh Murthy resigns
- Infosys president Rajesh Murthy steps down from his post citing personal reasons.
- He was one of the Highest paid executives of Infosys and was on president’s post from October 2016.
Current Affairs Sports
India beats Pakistan in Blind Cricket World Cup Match
- India won the match against Pakistan by 7 wickets in its third match played on Friday in UAE.
- India is the Defending Champions of the Tournament.
Angelique Kerber wins Sydney International Tennis Tournament
- Angelique Kerber of Germany beats Ashleigh Barty of Australiato win the Sydney International Tennis Final.
IPL 11 Auctions
- Till closing of IPL player registration total 1122 Players registered to be a part of IPL auctions.
- The IPL 11 auctions will take place on 27th and 28th of January in Bengaluru.
Current Affairs World
US ambassador to Panama quits
- US ambassador named John Feeley resigns as he no longer feels that he can serve President Donald Trump.
Turkmenistan imposes ban on female drivers
- Turkmenistan officials started seizing women licenses following ban on women drivers.
- This happened after a Interior Minister claimed that most accidents in the country happens due to female drivers.
Imp Note: President of Turkmenistan – Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov
Current Affairs Miscellaneous (Science, Technology, etc.)
IT giants Microsoft and Accenture to help Indian Startups
- Microsoft Accelerator and Accenture announced a partnership to help Indian Startups which specialize in field of IOT, augmented/virtual reality, fintech ,big data ,security, customer experience solutions and block chain.
- Microsoft and Accenture will jointly host startup events and summits in India.
Imp Note: IOT stands for Internet of Things and is a network of objects which can receive and transmit data.
Microsoft Accelerator works with startups to provide them tools , knowledge and support in initial stage.
Google removes 60 apps infected with Malware
- Google removed 60 apps from Play Store which were infected by Malware ‘AdultSwine’.